Wednesday, December 2, 2009

God Can't Wait for Me to Ask For ...

Most nights, I squeeze into the twin-size bottom bunk in the boys' bedroom and read to them.  Generally I read from a picture Bible (we've gone through at least 7 of them - the completion of each prompts another trip to a Christian bookstore for a new selection), but recently I began reading a chapter each night from The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis.  (Well, actually, I read it to both of them, but only Tobey really listens.  Xander flips through his selection of picture books.)

Anyway, this is the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia series (though it was actually the sixth book written, it is the prequel to all the rest - why do authors do this?) and I was very struck by one particular passage tonight - and I want to share it with you (whoever you are)  - or at the very least, record this for myself.

In Chapter 12, the principle characters - a boy, Digory and a girl, Polly - have embarked on a quest at the request of the God-like lion, Aslan and have stopped to eat, only to realize that they've not prepared any provisions for their journey.  They discuss the situation between themselves and the talking, flying horse, Fledge, who is transporting them.

"Well, I do think someone might have arranged about our meals," said Digory.

"I'm sure Aslan would have, if you'd asked him," said Fledge.

"Wouldn't he know without being asked?" said Polly.

"I've no doubt he would," said the Horse (still with his mouth full).  "But I've a sort of idea he likes to be asked."

This passage was so cool to me.  It filled in a gap in my understanding of prayer.  I am passionate about prayer, but often I find it all rather mysterious ... and difficult to explain (which is fine, but I so hunger for understanding!!!).

In this book, I understand the lion, Aslan, to be sort of a God/Christ figure - and in reading this passage, I thought, "Aha!  That is it - He does know what we want, but because He desires a relationship with us, He wants us to relate, to communicate with Him."

This is not entirely brand-spanking-new news tome, but then I pause in mid-chapter to discuss this revelation with Tobey.  He giggles and says, "Well, if He just wants me to ask and I'll receive, I am gonna ask him for {some video game I've never even heard of}.  And that is when I had my real revelation (or something that felt like one anyway):  I looked at Tobey and said, "And do you think that God is just waiting for you to ask for this video-game-I've-never-heard-of so that He can bless you with it?"

Tobey thinks on this only briefly and slips into near-hysterics.

"No!!!"

That's right.  No.  Even an 8-year-old knows that! 

What I get from this exchange is that, YES, He knows already exactly what I need (of course He does, He's God) - and He can't wait to give it to me ... but He often waits on me to ask.  My challenge is to discern what it is that He wants to give me - so that I can ask for that - and not a bunch of stuff that (like the video-game-I've-never-heard-of) won't do me, a King's Kid, any good.

Tonight, before we prayed, I asked Tobey what he would really like to talk to God about - what sort of things might God be dying to give him if he'd only ask?

I'd like to say that he had some profound response, but he didn't.  He just said, "Just pray whatever you like over me."  (How brave!)

Anyway, we gave praise for the good day he'd had, asked for a good night's rest, for wisdom and guidance in the day to come, and that God would surround him with good friends and good teachers.  (Those are all reasonable requests ... I think ... )

So, how about you?  Got any insight into what your Papa wants to give you?!

Sleep tight,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails