Monday, October 12, 2009

Pursuing Praise

I haven't posted here for awhile because ... well, because I've been busy.

Here's the thing:  I've not really been SO busy that I couldn't take a few minutes to post SOMETHING.  I've been too busy to think of anything brilliant ... and therein lies the pitfall of keeping a public blog ... for me.  I put ridiculous pressure on myself to share something impressive ... so much so that I share nothing.  AS IF.  As if there were so VERY many of you clamoring to read my thoughts.  As I type this, I think ... seriously, how ridiculous.

How often do you do this?  You do something well.  You garner some praise.  The praise feels so good that you begin to do this thing not because you enjoy it (as when you began), but in order to collect more accolades ... and as a result, the magic of this thing is snuffed out.

I do it all to often.  Maybe that's just me?  Maybe not.

In Ecclesiastes, we learn that there is "nothing new under the sun" - and I am betting that not only am I not alone, but that this IS "nothing new".  Seeking the praise of others - people pleasing, if you will - becomes a god before the One True God ... the one Who blessed us with the praiseworthy gift in the first place.

Recognition is often 1/2 the battle ... maybe more.

Father, let me put pleasing people away ... and put You at the forefront where You belong.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I understand this post quite a bit, my dear friend. :) Take a look at my blog and you'll just laugh. Look at my blog today...Monday...you'll REALLY laugh! The content is quite life-changing for everyone who reads it...NOT! Use your blog to share EVERY side of you - not just your wisdom, but let it be a window into all of your emotions. Some days will be duds. Big whoopie ding dong. We'll all get over it. :) We love you, Kris Ann. And we'll still love you if you put up a bummer of a posting. :) But, I do check your blog often - it's my way of feeling in touch with you...me, who is out here in the wilderness all by herself. (Boo hoo - don't you feel sorry for me????) So, keep up your blogging - even if it's just letting me know what you did today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, dear Pennie! Oddly (or not), Mary Pierce's blog right after posting this(her "Just Write" portion) and she wrote on silencing your inner critic - and just writing. I struggle with this quite a bit. Ugh.

    BTW - in all my "busyness", it suddenly occurs to me that I never replied to you with directions on Friday last. So sorry - I am anxious to get my hands on the Scoops, but apparently not so anxious as to do anything about it. :-(

    Blech.

    I LIKED your "not me Monday", so today it is "not me" that is oh-so-behind on the pile of work on her desk that she is instead chasing her pals all over the blogosphere so as to prolong the inevitable. Nope, NOT ME! :-)

    Blessings to you!

    And continued prayer as you walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

    love to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails